Thursday, January 15, 2015

Why Open Source Volleyball

Looking for information about volleyball can be a challenge. Usually the information you want is in a book or taught in an expensive clinic. Freely available information is not always good and is often an advertisement for the aforementioned books and clinics. Some very basic tools, like a blank stat sheet, can be difficult to find, if not impossible. In this day that lack of information is a little unusual. I am making this blog as a project to do my part to remedy this information deficit.

In software development there is an open source movement. Open source is based on the free exchange of ideas and collaboration. While it is mostly applied to software development, the "open source way" is an amazing model for this project. The bullet points on that page are great mile markers on this journey. The open exchange of ideas, creation through collaboration, improving through successes and failures in experimentation, the best ideas win, and building communities. Those core ideas really resonate with me. I not only want to be the best coach I can be, and have my players be the best they can be, but I want my competition to be the best they can be as well. Healthy competition against great coaches, teams and players will bring out the best in me and my athletes. Strong competition will help raise the image of the sport, and elevate the game.

No comments: