Monday, November 9, 2015

Sending the Right Messages

This morning I saw there was a new post on my favorite volleyball blog asking, "What is your message?" I have not seen the video in question, but it is an interesting observation. I think it is especially timely now as the girls' high school volleyball season is winding down and the club season is starting up.

Everything we can do as a coach will send some sort of message. If we aren't conscious of it, that message might not be the one we want it to be. Approach coaching in practices and matches deliberately. Take a step back and examine what message you are sending whether consciously or unconsciously. If necessary have another coach or some other observer provide input and insight. I think in many ways this might be more important than anything else we might do with skill development, practice planning and implementation, or match strategy and tactics.

No comments: