Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Perfection in Sports

Remember the Titans was on the other night. I love the movie and think it is kind of required viewing for cultural literacy, but I also like it for the depiction of sports and coaching. I like setting high expectations for my teams. I know those expectations will not always be met, but it is wonderful to watch what can happen when the team buys in to those expectations, works hard, and believes in themselves.

There is an exchange during the movie that really resonated with me. To the coach in me this is one of the most beautiful moments in the movie. But first some context:
Coach Boone: We will be perfect in every aspect of the game. You drop a pass, you run a mile. You miss a blocking assignment, you run a mile. You fumble the football, and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts and then you will run a mile. Perfection. Let's go to work.
That is a high expectation. I think there is room to criticize the delivery and consequences, but that is a high expectation. This is the practice environment and the team culture that Coach Boone established. The team responded and had a very strong season.
Coach Boone: It's all right. We're in a fight. You boys are doing all that you can do. Anybody can see that. Win or lose... We gonna walk out of this stadium tonight with our heads held high. Do your best. That's all anybody can ask for.

Big Ju: No, it ain't Coach. With all due respect, uh, you demanded more of us. You demanded perfection. Now, I ain't saying that I'm perfect, 'cause I'm not. And I ain't gonna never be. None of us are. But we have won every single game we have played till now. So this team is perfect. We stepped out on that field that way tonight. And, uh, if it's all the same to you, Coach Boone, that's how we want to leave it.
Coach Boone paraphrases John Wooden really well here. They are in the middle of a tough game, and things aren't looking good for the good guys. Coach Boone is at that place where the expectations are there, but the only thing the team can do is give their best effort. Expectations and reality are at odds. Then one of his players steps up and shows real leadership and character. He's going to dig deep and do more. They all are. And every once in a while those expectations are met. Perfection.

No comments: